DRG Professional Services has partnered with the leading integrated mining and chemical company and are looking for a Contract Specialist located in Hamilton, Mississippi.
1. Purpose of this role - why do we have this role in the organization?
The Contract Specialist is responsible for driving value and minimizing risk by effectively managing supply streams at the regional level. The role is responsible to evaluate the need for contracts, issue bids, negotiate, compile and maintain contracts in a timeous manner and adhere to ERP, CMS, governance and legal requirements. Facilitation and management of sound contracts and vendor relationships are critical to enable the operation to produce safe, quality, low cost tons and delivery on customers’ expectations.
2. Key Accountabilities - specific to this role What are the measurable outputs you WILL be held accountable for?
* Use company systems to identify hazards & risks and work to contribute to eliminate or reduce such risks.
* Participate actively in safety enhancement programs, safety meetings, safety audits etc.
* Coordinate with local site safety and environmental personnel that contractors comply with standards and regulations.
* Ensure activities comply with all environmental licensing conditions and enhance the company's image of environmental responsibility and sustainability by adhering to environmental plans and risk management systems.
* Ensure internal and external customers are given the upmost care and concern.
* Model the outward mindset.
* Build and maintain strong working relationships with company personnel, service providers, contractors and external customers by living the company's values.
* Demonstrate sound work ethics, commitment and the ability to work with others to achieve common goals.
* Share knowledge and experience with other team members.
* Manage interactions to make a positive contribution to workplace culture by living the company's values.
* Contribute to a positive work culture and climate that optimises employee morale and productivity in line with the company's values.
* Support OEE initiatives.
* Be an ambassador of the company in the communities we operate in.
* Evaluate requirement for contracts based on expected value of spend, nature of service or material, security of supply, market conditions, duration, safety concerns, risks etc.
* Increase contract spend to optimum levels.
* Draft commercially sound bid documentation according to the agreed scope / specification.
* Assist with development and maintenance of supplier database.
* Obtain bids from qualified service or material providers.
* Evaluate bids to determine financial and commercial competitiveness.
* Negotiate terms of contracts with vendors/contractors, including price, delivery, progress payments, compliance to specifications, warranty, remedies for non-performance etc.
* Managing risk by obtaining appropriate insurance certificates, evaluating safety data of contractors, compliance with environmental requirements etc.
* Responsible for obtaining appropriate budgetary and legal approvals on all contracts or contract amendments.
* Draft commercially sound contract documents to ensure that the company receives optimum competitive advantage, suffers minimum risk, minimize loss and include continuous improvement objectives.
* Maintain existing contracts by ensuring that amendments are done in such a way that the company maintains above mentioned benefits of the contracts.
* Negotiate contract price adjustment in such a way to maintain long term sustainable contractor and company relationships, while securing optimum prices for the company.
* Investigate need for contract extensions and terminate contractual relationship upon completion if required.
* Create and maintain contracts in SAP to ensure adherence to contractual prices and value and to facilitate automation of Purchase Orders.
* Create and maintain contracts in Contract Management System (CMS) and ensure accurate and sufficient records of contracts and the tender processes are retained.
* Execute and maintain purchase orders.
* Provide input in the compilation of monthly contracts reporting.
* Ensure procurement savings are identified, targets achieved, tracked and reported.
* Support the implementation of process and system enhancements to continuously improve the contract management process.
3. System Awareness Which systems will you NEED to be competent with in order to carry out the listed accountabilities?
* SAP MM Modules (Proficient in the creation and maintenance of SAP contracts and Purchase Orders / Reporting on vendors and materials)
* Microsoft Office Suite (Above average Word, Excel and Power Point skills)
* CMS (Contract Management System)
* ISO 9001
4. Key Competencies - specific to this role Which knowledge, skills and behavioural characteristics are VITAL to upholding the accountabilities listed for this role?
* Client service orientated
* Stakeholder management
* Outward mindset
* Relationship building and networking
* Ability to implement and manage change
Specific role Technical competency
* Bid and contract award process management skills
* Cost analysis / development of should-cost models
* Price escalation models
* Working knowledge of contract law and its application in commercial contracts
* Business acumen
* Negotiation skills
* Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
* Problem solving and decision making capability
* Attention to detail
Organizational Skills competency(planning, administration & time management)
* Results orientated
* Timely completion of bid and contract documentation
* Timely completion of reporting requirements
* Effective time management during the working day
Education & Experience
* Position requires a college bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Business and three years’ relevant experience in a chemical or industrial environment.
* Experience procuring chemicals, energy/utilities, packaging, maintenance & environmental services, capital materials and logistics.
You should not interpret these responsibilities as being absolute. You may at times be required to show a degree of flexibility in assuming other responsibilities, as situations arise.
Job Status: Full Time