Lab Specialist - Blood Bank
DRG Professional Services is partnered with Oklahoma's number one ranked health complex system and Level 1 Trauma Center & Academic Hospital. This locally owned "Not For Profit" hospital is beginning its Magnet journey and currently experiencing phenomenal growth. With the recent opening of a brand new state-of-the-art bed tower, the hospital is expanding its Blood Bank Laboratory team to meet the needs of the community.
Recently named as one of 100 Great Hospitals in America for 2020 by Becker’s Hospital Review, a national publication for healthcare decision-makers. Join a team with a mission of leading healthcare in patient care, education and research.
- This is a full time, direct hire (Not travel or contract) opportunity.
- Career Advancement & Professional Growth: Due to hospital growth and expansion, this position offers significant opportunity for advancing your career, whether it be cross training in another area or advancing into leadership positions. This hospital provides numerous ways to grow and learn. In addition to tuition reimbursement and continuing education, there are opportunities for professional growth through formal classroom training, online programs and blended learning experiences in leadership development and job specific development.
- Industry Leading Benefit Plan: The hospital offers a comprehensive benefits package, including PTO, 401(k) with match, medical and dental plans, but offerings go beyond traditional packages to include; Empower + Wellbeing programs, Paid Parental Leave, Childcare assistance, adoption assistance, financial support for continuing education, tuition reimbursement, and many others.
- Sign on bonus / relocation package eligibility
Position Description: Locally owned and operated, with more than 100 years of history and a firm focus on the future. Here, you will address the most complex cases with highly advanced care and the latest technology. You can participate in research and pioneering procedures that no other organization in the state offers. Join a team with a mission of leading healthcare in patient care, education and research.
- Level 1 Trauma Center Transfusion Services
- State-of-the-art Laboratory
- The Laboratory is accredited by the College of American Pathologists, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, American Association of Blood Banks and the American Society of Histocompatibility and Immunology
Under general supervision performs complex professional technical and analytical work in a Blood Bank/Transfusion Services department.
- Performs high complexity patient testing requiring advanced knowledge in a prompt and reliable manner according to established hospital and departmental policies.
- Takes appropriate action in response to critical values or unusual or unexpected results, and documents action taken.
- Ability to perform all testing and maintenance procedures within the section as needed.
- Responsible for performing equipment maintenance, quality control and/or calibration of Blood Bank equipment and properly documenting actions taken based on approved schedule.
- Follows established company and department policies and procedures.
- Follows the guidelines for safety, environmental, and infection control.
- Assists department supervisor and coordinator with daily operation issues.
- Sets up new methodologies, develops procedural protocols, and trains lab personnel and students in the performance of technical procedures and in the use of instrumentation.
- Participates in performance improvement activities and supports the hospital in meeting JCAHO and CAP accreditation standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Graduate of MT/MLS/CLS program OR Graduate of MLT program with 2 years of experience in Blood Bank/Transfusion Services.
- National certification as an MT/MLS or MLT by a recognized organization (ASCP or AMT).
- 1 year of experience in a clinical laboratory preferred.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of clinical laboratory principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of transfusion medicine (blood bank) and related laboratory specialties.
- Knowledge of recent developments in medical laboratory techniques and developments.
- Skill in conducting a variety of laboratory work independently.
- Ability to organize, analyze and evaluate tests in terms of laboratory controls and methods and in replicating analysis.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Knowledge of basic laboratory billing compliance rules.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regard to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.