Manager - Pediatric ECMO
This "Not For Profit" hospital is beginning its Magnet journey and currently experiencing phenomenal growth. At Oklahoma’s only comprehensive academic health system, you can work in countless specialty areas and practice settings - including the state’s only freestanding pediatric hospital, a community hospital, the state’s largest physician network with various clinic locations, NCI-designated cancer center and so much more. Recently named as one of 100 Great Hospitals in America for 2020 by Becker’s Hospital Review, a national publication for healthcare decision-makers. Join a team with a mission of leading healthcare in patient care, education and research.
This is a full time, permanent opportunity with a Level 1 Academic University Hospital
- Industry Leading Benefit Plan: The hospital offers a comprehensive benefits package, including PTO, 401(k) with match, medical and dental plans, but offerings go beyond traditional packages to include; Empower + Wellbeing programs, Childcare assistance, adoption assistance, financial support for continuing education, tuition reimbursement, and many others.
- Professional Growth: This hospital provides numerous ways to grow and learn. In addition to tuition reimbursement and continuing education, there are opportunities for professional growth through formal classroom training, online programs and blended learning experiences in leadership development and job specific development.
- Sign-On Bonus / Relocation Program Eligible
Responsibilities listed in this section are core to the position. Inability to perform these responsibilities with or without an accommodation may result in disqualification from the position.
- Directs and coordinates the care of ECMO patients in collaboration with but not limited to ECMO Specialists, ECMO Coordinators, Nursing and other Allied Health Managers, Physicians and Perfusionists.
- Collaborates with other providers in the quality monitoring and research activities related to ECMO.
- Reviews and analyzes reports, records and directives.
- Monitors and analyzes costs, prepares budgets.
- Evaluates, develops and implements process improvements to enhance effectiveness.
- Responsible for the hiring, promoting, discharging and transferring of employees.
- Responsible for scheduling and staffing needs of patients on ECMO; available for staffing needs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Available for transport of ECMO patient to and from other facilities 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Available for ECMO referrals from outside hospitals 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Ensures the proficiency of the ECMO Specialist and ECMO Coordinators.
- Advises and councils patients and their families placed on ECMO treatment; obtains required consent forms and ensures completion and compliance of policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the development of patient’s family education materials to ensure information is current and consistent with recent evidence, and the information is prepared in a manner that is at an appropriate reading level.
- Inputs and maintains charge records, and maintains required ECMO patients’ reports.
- Responsible for quality monitoring for patients ECMO therapy.
- Researches and provides ongoing and updated resources and statistical data to patient’s family and staff as needed.
- Responsible for developing curriculum for training of ECMO specialist and ECMO Coordinators, delivering the training, and evaluating the competency on an ongoing basis.
- Develops and arranges appropriate in-services and continuing education programs to meet and maintain ELSO standards.
- Performs evaluations of ECMO Coordinators and other ECMO Department staff
- Manages performance issues of ECMO specialists and ECMO Coordinators and appropriately addressing any performance, behavioral, or competency concerns.
- Responsible for maintaining inventory control and ordering supplies and equipment for the ECMO program. Must have a general knowledge of the biomedical engineering standards for ECMO equipment and detail knowledge of ECMO supplies.
- Monitors ECMO pump hours and reviews other information as established for the service.
- Serves as the point of contact between the Pediatric ECMO program and the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (ELSO) registry and maintains ELSO records as needed.
- Serves as point of contact for ECMO contract workers, ensure appropriate documentation of competencies and other human resources requirements. Also, facilitates scheduling, monitor’s performance of contract works, and processes invoices for payment.
- Responsible to ensure the ECMO program meets all regulatory standards. Must maintain knowledge of all regulatory standards from multiple regulatory bodies and incorporate them into process and procedures for the ECMO program.
- Responsible to maintain other databases as assigned for ECMO data collection and study purposes.
- Participates in or supports any research related events that involve ECMO patients and or data.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Graduate of an approved school of nursing with a baccalaureate degree or a Bachelor’s Graduate of a Respiratory program approved by the American Medical Association.
- Two (2) years ICU experience as an RN or Respiratory Therapist required.
- Previous experience as an ECMO specialist required.
- Lead, Charge, Supervisory or other Leadership experience preferred.
- Current RN License issued by the Oklahoma State Board of Nursing, or a current multistate compact RN License (eNLC)
- OR Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) upon hire.
- Current Basic Life Support issued by the American Heart Association required upon hire.
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) by the American Heart Association required within 6 months of hire.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of professional nursing theory, practices, techniques and procedures including those required for ECMO.
- Managerial skills sufficient for organizing, developing and supervising a department and staff.
- Knowledge of managerial functions such as budgets, statistical measures, report writing, performance improvement tools, etc.
- Computer literate.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must able to prioritize and manage several tasks at one time.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regard to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.