Pathologist Assistant II - Anatomic Pathology Lab
DRG Professional Services is partnered with Oklahoma's number one ranked health complex system and Level 1 Trauma Center & Academic Hospital. This locally owned "Not For Profit" hospital is beginning its Magnet journey and currently experiencing phenomenal growth. With the recent opening of a brand new state-of-the-art bed tower, the hospital is expanding its Anatomic Pathology Laboratory team to meet the needs of the community.
Recently named as one of 100 Great Hospitals in America for 2020 by Becker’s Hospital Review, a national publication for healthcare decision-makers. Join a team with a mission of leading healthcare in patient care, education and research.
- This is a full time, direct hire (Not travel or contract) opportunity.
- Career Advancement & Professional Growth: Due to hospital growth and expansion, this position offers significant opportunity for advancing your career, whether it be cross training in another area or advancing into leadership positions. This hospital provides numerous ways to grow and learn. In addition to tuition reimbursement and continuing education, there are opportunities for professional growth through formal classroom training, online programs and blended learning experiences in leadership development and job specific development.
- Industry Leading Benefit Plan: The hospital offers a comprehensive benefits package, including PTO, 401(k) with match, medical and dental plans, but offerings go beyond traditional packages to include; Empower + Wellbeing programs, Paid Parental Leave, Childcare assistance, adoption assistance, financial support for continuing education, tuition reimbursement, and many others.
- Sign on bonus / relocation package eligibility
Position Description: Locally owned and operated, with more than 100 years of history and a firm focus on the future. Here, you will address the most complex cases with highly advanced care and the latest technology. You can participate in research and pioneering procedures that no other organization in the state offers. Join a team with a mission of leading healthcare in patient care, education and research.
- Level 1 Trauma Center Transfusion Services
- State-of-the-art Laboratory
- The Laboratory is accredited by the College of American Pathologists, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, American Association of Blood Banks and the American Society of Histocompatibility and Immunology
Under general supervision, assists pathologists in performing necropsy examinations and performs grossing and dissection of tissue specimens.
- Performs postmortem exams including reviewing the medical chart, obtaining biological specimens, photography, evisceration, dissection, dictation and preparing the bodies for release
- Performs necropsy dissections, trimming of gross necropsy tissues for microscopic studies and photographing of selected necropsy and surgical specimens
- Gathers results of postmortem studies for the preparation of the necessary necropsy reports
- Performs surgical pathology duties of examination, gross description and dissection of complex organ and tissue specimens as well as appropriate coding of surgical specimens
- Ensures surgical specimens of legal importance are properly identified and maintained
- Reviews autopsy consent forms for legality and restrictions imposed by the next of kin
- Performs tissue harvest for banking
- Responsible for training and supervision of Pathology technicians and residents
- Bachelor’s Degree in biological sciences and completion of CLSI (Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute formerly NCCLS, National Committee on Clinical Laboratory Standards) accredited program.
- Must be currently certified by the ASCP (American Society for Clinical Pathology) as a Pathologists’ Assistant (PA) or must be Board eligible for certification by ASCP as a PA.
- Special Requirement: Incumbents may continue in the classification for up to one (1) year and must be certified by ASCP during that timeframe.
- 1 year of experience in a clinical laboratory preferred.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of anatomy, physiology and the pathology of disease processes.
- Knowledge of tissue processing procedures and medical laboratory techniques and terminology.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with others.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regard to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.