RN Education Specialist - Surgical ICU
This is a full time, permanent (not travel or contract) opportunity with a Level 1 Academic University Hospital
- Career Advancement: Due to hospital growth and expansion, this position offers significant opportunities for advancing your career, whether it be cross-training in another modality or moving into leadership positions.
- Industry Leading Benefit Plan: The hospital offers a comprehensive benefits package, including PTO, 401(k) with match, medical and dental plans, but offerings go beyond traditional packages to include; Empower + Wellbeing programs, Childcare assistance, adoption assistance, financial support for continuing education, tuition reimbursement, and many others.
- Professional Growth: This hospital provides numerous ways to grow and learn. In addition to tuition reimbursement and continuing education, there are opportunities for professional growth through formal classroom training, online programs, and blended learning experiences in leadership development and job-specific development.
- Sign-On Bonus / Relocation Program Eligible
General Description: As a member of an integrated team of Education Specialists promotes a healthy professional practice environment and supports inter-professional collaborative relationships within the hospital. The Education Specialist serves as a change agent, mentor, and leader and fully supports the Nurse Residency Program (NRP) all professional development activities. Identifies, assesses, and prioritizes educational needs, and develops and delivers curriculum to achieve results.
Responsibilities listed in this section are core to the position. Inability to perform these responsibilities with or without accommodation may result in disqualification from the position.
- Under the supervision of Clinical Education leaders, works to successfully meet the educational needs of the hospital in collaboration with/support of the various nursing, ancillary, and support department leaders within the organization
- Provides educational leadership and expertise within the hospital to achieve specific outcomes
- Serves on one or more teams accountable for supporting core orientation, NRP, and continuing education/professional development activities
- Demonstrates and applies expertise pertaining to one or more of the following standards of practice: education, curriculum development, professional development, orientation/onboarding, NRP, and competency management.
- Works collaboratively with leaders, clinical and other experts, and colleagues throughout the hospital to identify educational needs and practice gaps and design programs to address these needs.
- Utilizes evidence-based knowledge and standards of practice to plan, design, implement and evaluate educational activities to address the identified needs and achieve specific outcomes.
- Effectively manages processes and fulfills learning needs in order to achieve staff retention and employee engagement
- Maintains clinical competence in their area of clinical expertise and provides support to other clinical areas as the need arises
- Bachelor’s Degree from an approved school of nursing
- Four (4) years of nursing experience relevant to the education specialty including a combination of relevant clinical/technical practice, responsibility for educational functions/processes, and/or leadership accountabilities
- Burn wound and/or post-surgical experience preferred
- Current RN License issued by the Oklahoma State Board of Nursing, or a current multistate compact RN License (eNLC).
- Certification for Basic Life Support (BLS) instructor.
- Current Basic Life Support issued by the American Heart Association is required upon hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Expertise, knowledge, and skills to fulfill the full role, including Professional and Clinical Competence, Evidence-Based Practice, promoting Lifelong Learning, and collaborating with diverse professionals to deliver educational and professional programs.
- Demonstrates creativity and innovation in assessing for/addressing adult learning needs in an academic medical environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a highly integrated environment, with both direct and indirect reporting relationships.
- Demonstrates excellence in written and verbal communication.
- Demonstrates ability to utilize a diverse range of technology including simulation to achieve educational goals and outcomes.
- Evidence of a personal plan for professional development and continuous learning.